Singapore Institute of Technology
Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) is Singapore’s new autonomous university of applied learning. It aims to be a leader in innovative university education by integrating learning, industry and community.
SIT offers applied degree programmes targeted at growth sectors of the economy. As a new university, SIT offers its own applied degree programmes with a unique pedagogy that integrates work and study. It also offers specialised degree programmes in partnership with world-class universities
Professional Officer (Chemical Engineering)
jobsDB Ref. JSG400003003033443
The Professional Officer acts as a first line mentor to SIT’s students on hands-on and practical activities such as labs, student projects and IWSP to enhance the students’ technical problem solving skills and increase their preparedness for industry.
- Work with faculty in the development, design, planning and set-up of laboratories for teaching and research activities. This may involve activities to plan, procure and manage equipment in the lab, provide training to staff and students on usage of specific laboratory or workshop equipment as well as development of lab manuals.
- Mentor students during hands-on projects and laboratory activities to enhance their practical problem solving skills. This may involve conduct of relevant practical activities as well as supervision of students in their projects and laboratory assignments as a part of applied learning. Assessment of students may form part of the responsibilities.
- Guide students to navigate the industry environment during their Integrated Work Study Programme (IWSP).
- Participate in the project/s together with faculty and students when innovation project opportunities arise,
- Carry out Risk Assessment, and ensure compliance with Work, Safety and Health Regulations in the laboratories.
- Degree in Process/Chemical Engineering from a recognised University.
- Have at least 5 years of work experience in a pharmaceutical or chemical process environment. Professional Officers appointed at senior levels may have managerial responsibilities.
- Have deep, hands-on competence in the design, operation and implementation of industrial processes.
- Have strong ability in heat and mass transfer, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and/or chemical kinetics
- Passionate about training, coaching and mentoring junior practitioners.
- Able to build and maintain strong working relationships with people within and external to the university.
- Flexibility to work across functions/teams as part of a team in a dynamic environment
- Possess strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Show strong initiative and take ownership of work