You will enjoy the prestige and pride of working alongside bright, diverse and dedicated people who constantly strive to push boundaries. Being part of NUS is more than just a career – it could be a life-changing experience. With a broad range of departments, faculties, schools, research institutes and centres, initiatives, projects and schemes, you will enjoy abundant opportunities for intellectual, personal and professional growth. No matter what you do, it is an amazing place to be.
Principal / Lead / Senior Systems Engineer (Infrastructure & Operations)
jobsDB Ref. JSG400003003187632
Employer Ref. 005LW
The role and responsibilities of the Software-Defined Data Centre (SDDC) Systems Engineer include the following:
- Lead and perform day to day operational deployment, support and administration of VMware vSphere, SDDC, NSX and Horizon VDI infrastructure.
- Plan, coordinate and perform software and hardware upgrading, patching and remediating vulnerabilities.
- Develop new offerings and products for VMware cloud platform by analyzing market trends and users requirement.
- Lead and carry out continuous enhancement and upgrade of VMware and SDDC infrastructure which includes its platform, API, vRA blueprint, vRO workflow and package, programming/scripting using PowerCLI, shell script, python, Java script and etc.
- Conduct capacity planning, system performance analysis and optimization, introduce improvements and enhancement to existing infrastructure.
- Plan, design, lead and coordinate the lifecycle refresh of SDDC and Horizon VDI infrastructure.
- Oversee the development and update of technical documentation, VMware infrastructure and configuration best practices, Service catalog description and standard operating procedures.
- Lead and support IT projects and feasibility study into innovative and proven technology that can bring agility, enhance security, and improve efficiency and users experiences of IT services deployed to NUS communities.
- Setup proof-of-concept environment to validate the design architecture if required.
- Assess the technical, cost and schedule implications arises from change in architecture and design.
- Responsible to develop requirement specifications and put up procurement for renewal and new purchases relating to area of responsibilities.
- Provide consultation and attend to enquiry coming from NUS Faculties, Offices, Research teams and internal Project teams with regards to Computer Centre offered services on IaaS and PaaS.
- Collaborate and work alongside with other towers and teams to understand the users’ requirement and provide expert technical architecture and engineering design support. Provide specification for tender publication relating to area of responsibilities if required.
- Mentor and advocates virtualization technology adoption within NUS communities.
- A relevant university degree with at least 6 years of relevant working experience.
- At least 5 years of practical hand on and administration experiences working with VMware vSphere.
- At least 2 years of practical hand on and administration experiences working with VMware vRealize Automation and/or VMware Horizon and/or NSX and Cloud Infrastructures.
- At least 2 years of experiences with scripting and maintaining REST APIs and scripts developed using VMware PowerShell CLI, Java, PERL, Shell script, Python and etc.
- Technically certified as VMware Certified Professional (VCP). VCAP certified will be an added advantage.
- Experiences working on container administration (e.g. Docker) and DevOps technology deploying on VMware infrastructure and Public Cloud (e.g. AWS and Azure) will be an added advantage.
- Experiences working with Cisco UCS hardware will be an added advantage.
- Deep understanding of virtualization and supporting technologies in Hyper-Convergence, x86 hardware, SAN, NAS, backup and network design and best practices is required.
- Self-motivated and results oriented with excellent analytical, problem solving, interpersonal, presentation and communication skills.
- Able to collaborate with others, passionate, independent and creative problem-solvers who enjoys hands-on technical work and has experience working across engineering disciplines, applications layers and technologies.