You will enjoy the prestige and pride of working alongside bright, diverse and dedicated people who constantly strive to push boundaries. Being part of NUS is more than just a career – it could be a life-changing experience. With a broad range of departments, faculties, schools, research institutes and centres, initiatives, projects and schemes, you will enjoy abundant opportunities for intellectual, personal and professional growth. No matter what you do, it is an amazing place to be.
Principal / Lead / Senior Systems Engineer (Infrastructure & Operations)
jobsDB Ref. JSG400003003187631
Employer Ref. 005LY
- Lead as Linux/Unix subject matter expert to provide operational governance and vendor management of the Linux/Unix Operating Systems, Automation and System Security infrastructure.
- Design, deploy and manage Linux/Unix Operating System platform through using Automation and System Configuration platform such as Puppet, Red Hat Satellite server and Security Compliance and Patch Management tools such as IBM BigFix.
- Manage patching and software release distributions to servers using IBM BigFix, creating and testing packages prior to release.
- Manage and create compliance fixlets for distribution to server platforms to verify compliance with policy.
- Develop and maintain automation and system configuration tools programming language using Perl, shell script and Puppet’s declarative or Ruby DSL.
- Oversee the development and update of Linux/Unix technical documentation, system configuration best practices, Service catalog description and standard operating procedures.
- Conduct capacity planning, system performance analysis and optimization, introduce improvements and enhancement to existing infrastructure.
- Plan, design, lead and coordinate the lifecycle refresh of Linux and Unix Software and physical hardware. Coordinating and collaborating with database and applications team to refresh or migrate to new technology and platforms.
- Participate and Support IT projects and feasibility study into innovative and proven technology that can bring agility, enhance security, and improve efficiency and users experiences of IT services deployed to NUS communities.
- Setup proof-of-concept environment to validate the design architecture if required.
- Responsible to develop requirement specifications and put up procurement for renewal and new purchases relating to area of responsibilities.
- Collaborate and work alongside with other towers and teams to understand the users’ requirement and provide suitable system engineering and architecture design, provide specification for tender publication relating to area of responsibilities if required.
- Working independently to oversee the implementation of solution and delivery to project team.
- A relevant university degree with at least 6 years of relevant working experience.
- At least 5 years of practical hand on and administration experiences working with multiple Linux/Unix OS such as CentOS, Red Hat, Solaris and HP-UX.
- At least 2 years of experiences with scripting and maintaining APIs and scripts developed using Perl, Shell script, Puppet’s declarative or Ruby DSL.
- Experiences working on container administration (e.g. Docker) and DevOps technology deploying on VMware infrastructure and Public Cloud (e.g. AWS and Azure) will be an added advantage.
- Experiences in administering IBM BigFix Compliance and Patch management Software will be an added advantage.
- Deep understanding of supporting technologies in SAN, backup, middleware, database and network.
- Self-motivated and results oriented with excellent analytical, problem solving, interpersonal, presentation and communication skills.
- Able to collaborate with others, passionate, independent and creative problem-solvers who enjoys hands-on technical work and has experience working across engineering disciplines, applications layers and technologies.