Head, Faculty Administration, Office of Human Resources & Faculty Administration
Singapore Management University
jobsDB ref: JSG400003003031711
- Work closely with Deans, Vice Provost (Faculty Matters) and Provost to develop employment contracts for faculty hiring. Review and administer employment contract matters for faculty.
- Review the work of direct report staff who administer employment contracts through the life cycle of the faculty hires. This also includes overseeing the non-local aspects of full-time faculty who are non-Singaporean hires as well as contract renewals, promotions, granting of tenure, sabbatical leave, contract conclusions, resignations and departures as well as relocations to Singapore/ on-boarding commencement with SMU.
- Act as a point of expertise for the Schools and ICLIs on contract matters and general enquiries in relation to engagement of "non-employee faculty". This requires a strong grasp of immigration and tax matters especially where the engagements involve foreigners and a strong understanding of what constitutes a well-crafted contract.
- Provide governance and committee secretariat support for the President''s Tenure and Academic Committee (PTAC) meetings as well as the Academic Affairs Committee (AAC - sub-committee of SMU''s Board of Trustees) meetings. Hold the appointment of Secretary to the PTAC as well as to the AAC.
- Prepare and review quarterly reports for SMU''s Finance and Remuneration Committee (also a sub-committee of SMU''s Board of Trustees), SMU''s Board of Trustees, as well as for MOE.
- Lead the coordination and administration of faculty annual performance and salary review by working directly with all Deans, as well as the Vice Provost (Faculty Matters) and Provost. Review all annual review letters to faculty and prepare full suite of reports for the Finance and Remuneration Committee. Also prepare the budget forecast for the annual faculty salary increment exercise using international benchmark data where applicable and relevant.
- Provide domain expertise (and act as Project Champion) for IT systems development involving faculty administration matters. Past major projects include the IFIS (Integrated Faculty Information Systems) Project and the FRS (Faculty Recruitment System) Project.
- Recommend/ suggest/ review faculty administration policy changes and initiatives. Revise internal procedures when policy guidelines change or as required for legal or other external compliance reasons. Such policies can include, but not restricted to faculty housing, child schooling support, faculty relocation, sabbatical/scholarly leave, faculty service gratuity, etc.
- Key point-of-contact for faculty questions pertaining to their appointment arrangements with SMU and their residential status in Singapore, etc. Also act as a confidential sounding board for faculty experiencing difficult situations either at work or due to relocations to Singapore, etc.
- Take the lead in all faculty administration as well as in general faculty matters that are often beyond faculty administration, act as a reliable point of contact to provide advice to Deans and Associate Deans on matters including but not limited to faculty disciplinary cases, faculty grievance cases, faculty major illness cases, etc.
- Coordinate the passage of academic programme proposals through the PTAC and AAC for transmission to the Board of Trustees for final approval.
- University degree with 15 or more years of extensive HR experience, preferably with no fewer than 8 years of senior or leadership role in a major academic institution.
- Strong knowledge on the full range of HR functions, including a high level and deep knowledge of HR and employment contract law, both local and internationally is required.
- High level of knowledge on specialized academic recruitment and the academic career life cycles in the international domain, including matters like tenure, etc. is required. (Somewhat a domain knowledge expert.)
- Deep knowledge on how academic programmes are structured and approved in general
- Excellent writing skills and communication skills.
- Good analytical and data management skills.
jobsDB will send your application for review directly to Singapore Management University
About Singapore Management University
Singapore Management University is a place where high-level professionalism blends together with a healthy informality. The ''family-like'' atmosphere among the SMU community fosters a culture where employees work, plan, organise and play together – building a strong collegiality and morale within the university.
Our commitment to attract and retain talent is ongoing. We offer attractive benefits and welfare, competitive compensation packages, and generous professional development opportunities – all to meet the work-life needs of our staff. No wonder, then, that SMU continues to be given numerous awards and recognition for its human resource excellence.