POSITION TITLE: Application Developer
Do you want to be the person who exceeds your potential?
If you have a desire to succeed and drive your own career, Dimension Data offers you the opportunity to make that happen.
We’re positioned to lead the change in the biggest transformation that the IT industry has seen in decades — and we need your talent, skill, and ambitious ideas. As a Global Top Employer to over 28,000 great people in more than 58 countries, you’ll be working with teams across the world. You’ll be doing great things for our clients and helping them achieve their business ambitions.
We are currently looking for an Application Developer to support the business in achieving its strategic objectives.
Position Summary and Primary Objectives
The Application Developer in Dimension Data designs, develops, maintains and administers transactional and analytical data structures or medium complexity software code which translates business requirements into technology terms. They take responsibility for the production of solutions in line with business requirements and specifications.
They are responsible for the development of the specific platform by prototyping, implementing, deployment and supporting the customisation or configuration in line with change requests, new services introduction and/or evolving business rules or requirements. This may include driving the vendor to develop the expected functionality at times.
Analyse business requirements
Application Developers work closely with the Business Analysts and receive detailed business / user requirement specifications that identify the goal of the program and use this to assist with the preparation of a functional requirements document, including context and system flowcharts that diagrammatically show how the information will flow through the computer and its peripheral or related equipment. They analyse the business requirements and ensure that the designed solution meets these requirements. He/she meets with internal clients, Business Analysts and/or designers to understand the project scope before writing the code.
Design the application
They are responsible for writing step-by-step instructions that direct computers to process information and are required to work on a wide range of projects with medium complexity. They design the logic that delivers the computing system functionality. The Application Developer takes responsibility for documenting the code that he/she has written into a process that enables application use and security. These individuals transform the detailed requirements into a complete, detailed systems design document which focuses on how to deliver the required functionality.
Develop the application
The Application Developer converts a design into a complete information system including acquiring and installing the systems environment, creating and testing databases, preparing test case procedures, preparing test files, coding, compiling, refining programs and performing test readiness review and procurement activities.
Integrate and test the application
Once the application has been designed, the Application Developer tests the program prior to its deployment and release. If the test does not deliver the required results, the Application Developer examines the program errors in logic and data and makes the necessary corrections and if required, escalates the problem to the Senior Application Developer. In so doing, they perform debugging and data resolution activities.
Implement the application
The Application Developer works with the Senior Application Developer and technical teams to assist with the installation and deployment of the application. This includes implementation preparation, implementation of the solution into a production environment and resolution of any problems identified in the integration and test phases.
Evaluate the application
These individuals are required to write and distribute the task descriptions in a production environment to operate and maintain the solution they have designed and implemented. This includes post implementation and in process reviews.
Application Developers are able to work with abstract concepts and have sound problem solving and analytical skills. They are able to communicate effectively with a variety of stakeholders, including the technical teams and clients. They demonstrate good attention to detail and work well within a team environment. They display strong client service orientation and strive for client engagement.
In this position you will be required to:
- Prepare a functional requirements document which provide the translation of the functional requirements into technical specifications.
- Scrutinise business requirements and ensure that the designed solution meets these requirements, understanding the project scope prior to documenting the development plan.
- Develop the approved code and produce a prototype of the expected functionality, validating and finalising the development following the required change management and release process.
- Assist with the installation and deployment of the application, including:
- Implementation preparation
- Implementation of the solution into the production environment
- Resolution of any problems identified in the integration and test phases
- Actively participate in the Global Services Development and Support processes, including change and release management, training of end-users and the provision of support.
- Ensure operational software on client site.
- Bachelors’ Degree in Information Systems
- 3 – 5 years’ work experience
- Minimum of 2 years’ application development experience in a similar environment
- Good understanding of and experience with ITIL
- Very good working knowledge of Microsoft Exchange, Word, Excel Project, PowerPoint and Visio
Personal Attributes and Skills Required
Skills and knowledge
- Working knowledge on software design and the software development life cycle (SDLC)
- Good knowledge and understanding of information technology industry
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to produce clear and succinct documents
- Excellent analytical skills
- Capable of using client requirements to advise on the design, deployment and operation of applications
- Ability to work with abstract concepts and have sound problem solving skills
- Communicate effectively with a variety of stakeholders, including the technical teams and clients
- Demonstrate good attention to detail and work well within a team environment
- Display strong client service orientation and strive for client engagement
- Ability to manage projects by contributing to improving current methodologies,
processes and tools
Next career steps
- Senior Application Developer
- Testing Specialist / Senior Testing Specialist
- Business Analyst / Senior Business Analyst
Join our growing global team and accelerate your career with Dimension Data. Apply Today!
Diversity in Dimension Data
Dimension Data is an equal opportunity employer with a global culture that embraces diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be unfairly discriminated against on any arbitrary ground including race, colour, sex, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, or other protected category.